When can I claim special assessments?

Most special assessments for drains, sewers, roads, etc., may not be included as property taxes levied. You may include special assessments only if they are billed using a millage rate or are based on taxable value and are either levied in the entire taxing jurisdiction or they are used to provide police, fire, or advanced life support services and are levied township-wide. If you have any questions regarding your special assessments and whether they can be included as taxes levied on your homestead property tax credit claim please email the Tax Department or call 313-387-2611.

Following are some examples of special assessments:

  • Drains
  • Sewers
  • Roads
  • Solid waste fee
  • Delinquent water charges
  • Sidewalk

When selling your home, you may need to pay any outstanding special assessments on your home. For payoff amounts, please contact the Building Department at 313-387-2680 and the DPW office at 313-387-2641. The Tax Department does not currently hold any special assessment information for Redford Township.

Show All Answers

1. What is taxable value?
2. What is a millage rate and where do I find it?
3. Does college or university housing qualify for a homestead credit?
4. What does "taxes levied" mean?
5. Where do I get property tax statements if I am buying a home and only received a mortgage interest statement?
6. If I have vacant parcels that are adjacent or contiguous to my homestead, may I claim the taxes on them?
7. If my homestead percentage indicated on my tax statement is other than 100% or 0%, how do I compute my taxes?
8. If I bought or sold my home during the tax year, how do I compute my taxes?
9. Where do I find the school district code?
10. When can I claim special assessments?
11. What is a homestead?