Hey all you newbie pickleball fans! We have several places for you to play your favorite sport: inside the community center in the gym or at Kraft Park. There will be beginner lessons, encompassing the rules to etiquette of the game. Join PPR Certified Coach Jake Frederickson for pickleball lessons. As a lifelong player of racquet sports, Jake discovered pickleball in the summer of 2020. Through hard work and dedication, Jake has achieved a 5.0 rating. He continues to strive for improvement, traveling across the country for tournaments and practicing multiple times a week. Jake knows that his accomplishments would not have been possible without the support and guidance of the Metro Detroit pickleball community. Now, he is ready to give back. Come join him for six weekly one hour sessions. We plan to work on the following: rules and terminology; etiquette, equipment, and safety; ground strokes and volleys; serves and returns; footwork, body control, and positioning; third shot drops and drives; dinking and non-volley zone play.
Drop-in will also be offered at the Community Center. It will be rotational play. One court with a max of 10 players per time slot. Call ahead for date specifics and to reserve your time slot.
Enrollment for lessons is $50 per person. Drop-in pricing is as follows: $3 for residents or $4 for non-residents. Registration must be done prior for both lessons and drop-in. Call Leisure Services at (313) 387-2650 for more information on registration.
Class & drop-in dates for spring and summer are as follows:
- Mondays from 7:15 - 8 p.m. at the RCC.
- Summer 1: May 22 - July 10 (no class May 29 or July 3)
- Summer 2: July 24 - August 28
- Tuesdays from 1:30 - 2:30 p.m. at the RCC.
- Spring: March 21 - April 25
- Saturdays from 10-11 a.m. at Kraft Park.
- Summer 1: May 20 - July 22 (no class May 27, June 3, June 10, or July 1)
- Summer 2: July 29 - September 9 (no class September 2)
- Mondays & Thursdays at the RCC.
- Session 1: 9 - 11:30 a.m.
- Session 2: 12:30 - 3 p.m.