Traffic Division

Did you know if you received a traffic ticket you can quickly and easily dispute your ticket online? Try Online Dispute Resolution by visiting the Court Innovations website.

You have 14 days from the date the ticket was issued to respond either in person or in writing to your traffic citation.

Please note: If you receive a traffic violation, it is best to resolve the matter immediately. There are no payment extensions given on tickets. If you allow the 14 day period for resolving the ticket to expire, a default judgment will be entered against you and you will automatically be determined to be responsible for a civil infraction violation. Your driver's license may be suspended and late costs may be assessed. A warrant may be issued for your arrest if the violation was a misdemeanor offense. A warrant may also be issued if you fail to respond to a civil infraction ticket after an opportunity for a show cause hearing has been allowed.**

View the Ticket Fine Sheet (DOC) to learn more about the fine schedule for Traffic Citations including points.

To make a payment on your traffic ticket please visit the 17districtcourtpay website.

If you have received a traffic violation in Redford Township, the 17th District Court has jurisdiction over the case. Traffic offenses are either Civil Infractions or Misdemeanors.

Civil Infraction or Misdemeanor: Your ticket states the infraction for which you were cited. In the column preceding the offense, the type of infraction is designated, either C/I (for Civil Infraction) or Misd (for Misdemeanor). A civil infraction is a civil action against you which may result in fines and costs being assessed against you. The Secretary of State may also assess points on your driver's license. This offense is not a crime. A payable misdemeanor is a criminal offense which the Court has deemed to be a payable offense for which a fine and cost schedule has been established. The Fine/Cost Schedule you received with your ticket and that is listed here designates which Misdemeanor offenses are payable and which require court dates.

If you have received a Civil Infraction, you have the following options:

To admit responsibility and pay the fines and costs, and accept points added to your record as determined by the Secretary of State. You may pay the ticket - If the violation which you received is listed on the Fine and Cost Schedule attached to your ticket or on the Fine and Cost Schedule adopted by the 17th District Court, you may admit responsibility by paying the violation in person at the court, by placing a check with your ticket number in the 24-hour drop box located in the court's vestibule or by mail. If you choose to pay the ticket at the court, you may pay by cash, a personal check (no starter checks or checks less than 200, or checks that do not have the name imprinted can be accepted), or credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express). If you choose to pay by mail or drop box, only personal checks or money orders will be accepted. You may also visit our online payment system. Please view the 17districtcourtpay website.

To admit responsibility with an explanation is an acknowledgment that the ticket was proper, but you believe you have a legal excuse. For example, you are charged with parking in a handicapped spot without a permit. Your explanation is that "I did park there, but I am in a wheelchair and my spouse's car is without a permit." You may explain your reasons to the magistrate or judge in one of two ways, by a letter or in person at a hearing.

  • Writing a Letter - If you wish to admit that you are responsible to a civil infraction offense for which you were ticketed but you believe there are extenuating circumstances, you are entitled to write a letter with admitted responsibility but explaining the circumstances to the presiding judge. If you choose this course of action, you may still be assessed the fines, and points from the ticket or the judge may waive part or all of the sanctions against you.
  • Scheduling a Hearing - You must call the court within 14 days from receipt of the violation to schedule a hearing. You have the right to either use our Online Dispute Resolution tool, schedule an Informal Hearing or a Formal Hearing. For more information regarding each hearing please click on the type of hearing you wish to learn about.

To deny responsibility and to have an informal or formal hearing. See Scheduling a Hearing above.

If you have received a Payable Misdemeanor, you have the following options:

  • To plead guilty and pay the fines and costs, and accept points added to your record as determined by the Secretary of State. See Paying the Ticket above.
  • To plead not guilty and schedule a Pre-Trial: You must send in a copy of the back of your ticket indicating that you are pleading not guilty or a letter stating that you are pleading not guilty. No pre-trial requests will be granted via the phone. This matter will then be set for a pre-trial in front of a judge and a notice will be mailed to your home. You have the right to have an attorney for all court proceedings.