Building & Safety
The Redford Township Department of Building and Safety Engineering is assigned the duty of monitoring new construction which involves the renovation of existing buildings within the township. It also is responsible for the sidewalk rehabilitation program, the rental unit inspection program, and the enforcement of township ordinances.
Covid-19 Safety Plan - Redford Township Staff
Entering Private Homes or Businesses
Property Owner, Business Owner, Responsible Party or Tenants:
Your safety and the safety of our staff are our primary concern, therefore when it is necessary for Redford Township staff to enter a private home or business to perform work, inspect or conduct official business, our employees will adhere to the procedure and protocols listed below.
Redford Township employees will do the following:
- Wear a face mask and gloves.
- Stay six feet from any person in the home or business.
- Only touch areas or items required to complete their assigned task.
- Have required daily temperature checks and health screenings
We ask that all occupants/visitors of the homes and businesses please wear a face mask and remain a minimum of 6' away from our staff at all times during the visit. Additionally, we ask that if any occupants/visitors are experiencing symptoms that they cancel the appointment before arrival.
Failure to follow the required safety precautions will result in the cancellation of requested services and may require additional rescheduling fees, if applicable.
Thank you for your patience and understanding during this time. We appreciate your assistance. If you have any questions, please contact the following Redford Township departments:
- Building Department
- Water and Sewer Department
The Home Renovator
The Home Renovator website is online estimating software that has been designed for the Do-It-Yourselfer. Simply enter your project details and you will receive a complete report of the materials required, cutting instructions, recommended tools, cost estimates, and more.
About the Building & Safety Department
The Building and Safety Engineering Department are responsible for:
- Issuing building, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing permits
- Performing required inspections
- Investigating violations of Township ordinances and blight complaints
- The sidewalk replacement program
- The rental home registration and inspection program
The staffing for this department includes one superintendent/plan reviewer, three full-time building/ordinance inspectors, two full-time ordinance officers, one electrical inspector, one plumbing inspector, one mechanical inspector, and four full-time clerical staff.
Report a Nuisance
Redford residents can file a complaint with the Township using the SeeClickFix tool.
- Building and Zoning Permit Application (PDF)
- Building Permit Fees Schedule (PDF)
- Electrical Permit Application (Front and Back) (PDF)
- Fire Suppression Permit Application (PDF)
- Furnace-Boiler Certification Form (PDF)
- Mechanical Permit Application (PDF)
- Planning Commission Application and Instructions (PDF)
Jeff CorbinBuilding Superintendent
Building and Safety
12200 Beech Daly
Redford, MI 48239
12200 Beech Daly Redford MI 48239
Phone: 313-387-2680Fax: 313-387-2610
Monday through Friday
8:30 am to 4:30 pm
After Hours Emergencies
Appointments with the inspectors may be scheduled by calling 313-387-2680. Inspectors are in the office between 8:30 am to 9:30 am and between 3:30 pm to 4:30 pm.
Please Note: Because of the technical nature of many questions related to the building codes, it is virtually impossible to adequately answer questions through email. As a result of the technical nature of the department, all e-mails sent to this department must be limited to comments only. The department will not respond via e-mail to any questions which require a technical answer. All questions requiring a technical answer must be addressed directly to the inspector in person, in writing, or via the telephone.