All homes were provided with blue recycle bins when the recycling program began. If you are new to Redford and don't have a recycle bin or are in need of a replacement bin, you can purchase one for a small fee of $10 at the Leo Snage Public Services Building at 12200 Beech Daly (between Plymouth and Schoolcraft), Monday thru Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. You may purchase more than one bin if you would like. Guidelines for acceptable items are listed below.
ACCEPTABLE CONTAINERS FOR RECYCLABLES
Recyclables are to be placed in a recycle bin that is rectangular and of 18 gallon capacity size. Waste cans or larger recycle bins are not acceptable for recyclables & will not be emptied. If “occasionally” you have more than your bin will hold you may place them in a clear plastic bag and set it next to your bin. Recycle bins are available to purchase for a small fee at the Redford Public Services Building, 12200 Beech Daly.
ACCEPTABLE ITEMS TO PLACE IN RECYCLE BINS
**Please rinse/clean/empty items before placing in bin**
Plastic Bottles, Jugs & Containers
- Plastics #1& #2
- Household plastics #3 thru #7
- Please remove caps labels are ok, flatten if possible.
- NO motor oil or chemical containers
Glass Bottles & Jars
- Only clean & empty clear glass - remove caps, labels are OK
- NO color glass, window glass, broken glass, mirrors, light bulbs, ceramics or glassware
Metal Containers & Kitchen Cookware
- Aluminum cans
- Steel and tin cans - for safety place metal lids inside cans & flatten cans if possible
- Aluminum trays or pie tins
- Kitchen pots, pans and cookware
- NO aerosol cans or paint cans
Cardboard & Paperboard
- Flatten or cut all cardboard down into sizes no larger than 3 ft x 3 ft size. Large amounts must be bundled & tied / pizza boxes must be clean
- Flatten paperboard boxes (cereal, snack, rice, Kleenex , etc.)
- No wax coated boxes
Newspaper, Magazines, Catalogs, Phone Book, Office Paper & Junk Mail
- Newspaper - remove bags, strings or rubber bands
- Magazines, catalogs & phone books (glossy & non-glossy)
- Office paper all types, sizes & colors
- Computer paper, notebook paper, index cards
- Junk mail - flyers, brochures, postcards, envelopes etc.
Paper & Plastic Bags
- Clean plastic or paper bags from most retail or grocery stores